Mexican food…the salty tortilla chips, the cheesiness of tacos, burritos, and enchiladas, and the creamy helpings of refried beans. Although I adore it, sodium and fat in Mexican food is often way over the daily recommended intake. So does this mean bye-bye to a favorite cuisine of mine? NO WAY! By using the following tips, you can prepare Mexican food faves at home without all the extra sodium and fat.
Tips for healthier Mexican cuisine at home:
- Make your own salsa!
- Choose a wheat flour tortilla for more fiber
- Use black beans in tacos, burritos, salads, and salsas to add fiber (rinse canned beans before using!)
- Add plenty of vegetables (bell peppers, tomatoes, onions) to dishes for a variety of nutrients and to help fill you up
- Bake homemade tortilla chips
- Reduce the amount of cheese you use to cut back on total fat and saturated fat
- Kick up the spice! Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning, cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, and chili powder are all great for flavoring Mexican foods
Check out the Southwestern Shrimp Tacos for some inspiration! Olé!