Is the summer heat interfering with your normal workout routine? With temperatures in the 90’s and humidity thick enough to cut through, the usual outdoor workout you’re accustomed to may require a modification.
So how can we stay active even in the hot weather? Consider trying any of the following:
- Work out in the early morning or later in the evening after the sun goes down (remember your reflective gear!).
- Try swimming laps or water aerobics at the pool
- Try out the (indoor) group fitness class you’ve been considering for a while! ClassPass™ anyone?
- Be sure to take a break if you need it. Get that H2O in while you rest.
When it comes to working out in the heat, it’s important to keep a few important things in mind:
- Stay hydrated with water before, during, and after your workout.
- Replete electrolytes post-workout with a potassium- and magnesium-rich snack like a banana with peanut butter or a slice of whole-grain bread topped with avocado and tomato.
- Don’t forget the sunblock if you’ll be outdoors longer than 30 minutes.
- Choose moisture-wicking, breathable workout apparel to keep you cooler.
How do you beat the heat while staying fit? I’d love to hear your tips!