I received free samples of California Avocado mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by California Avocado and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
This will excite your taste buds and trick your brain. A beautifully green, creamy, ice-cream like substance that tastes like coffee…and avocado. A perfect summer treat, without all the guilt.
Don’t let the idea of having avocado in your dessert frighten you. The avocado is so versatile that it can pair well with any of the 5 basic taste sensations: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami. And because avocados are high in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs), which are considered healthy fats, they provide the creamy mouth-feel in this recipe.
So if you’re feeling adventurous, this is the recipe for you! What other flavors have you paired with avocados? Chocolate, lavender, raspberries?….I’d love to hear about your avocado adventures!
Avocado Coffee Sherbet
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coffee concentrate
2 large, ripe avocados, diced
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 cup light coconut milk
1. In a small saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining water and sugar in pan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and add coffee concentrate. Allow coffee syrup to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. In a blender or food processor, add diced avocado, lime juice, and coffee syrup. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour avocado mixture into a bowl and then mix in coconut milk until combined. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. In an ice cream maker, process cooled avocado mixture according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Pour mixture into a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to freeze for at least 2 hours.