I’d like to introduce you to Recipe Redux–a monthly recipe challenge founded by Registered Dietitians. The goal is to take everyday dishes and make them healthier, while keeping them delicious. And that’s what I’m all about! At the end of each Recipe Redux post, be sure to check out the links to other blogs for plenty of great recipe ideas!
This month’s Recipe Redux theme is Summer Beverages–and I knew exactly what I wanted to do! This is not your typical summer iced tea. Green tea is a lighter, but equally refreshing alternative to black tea. Green tea, which is minimally processed, has a high flavonoid content. Flavonoids are dietary compounds that help maintain normal healthy, heart function. The orange-mint syrup is simple to make and provides a hint of sweetness and flavor.
Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
Orange-Mint Syrup (makes 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3 mint sprigs
1 Tbsp. orange zest
Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan over medium heat. Once sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to low and add orange zest and mint sprigs. Let sit for 3-4 minutes, then remove pan from heat and let sit for 2 hours. Store in refrigerator.
Using your favorite green tea, add 1 Tbsp. of orange-mint syrup to 8 oz. of green tea over ice. Enjoy!!
Don’t forget to stop by these blogs for more healthy summer beverage ideas!
- Gretchen, kumquat Ginger Ale
- Dr. Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Triple Cherry Chiller
- Carlene Helble, Carlene’s Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
- Kara Lydon, Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
- Deanna Segrave-Daly, Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
- Jessica Fishman Levinson, Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Marie Spano, Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
- Elizabeth Jarrard, Don’t White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
- Emily Greenfield, The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
- Regan Jones – The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
- Kat Lynch – Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz – nice & naughty
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
- Ann Dunaway Teh, Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
- Yuri – Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeds
- Cherie Schetselaar-Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ad
- Carrie Miller, Nutrition Know How, 12 Smoothie Recipes to Beat the Heat