This Wild Blueberry French Toast Bake is a breakfast dish you can feel good about serving to the whole family!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wild Blueberries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
The holidays are quickly approaching. Have you already finalized the Thanksgiving menu? While I certainly look forward to enjoying the classic Thanksgiving meal—turkey, sweet potato casserole, pie—I also equally look forward to planning what to have for breakfast on holidays. It’s the perfect time to try out a new recipe, plus starting the day with a healthy, balanced breakfast will help keep your appetite in check during the big meal. Also, if you’re like me, skipping breakfast, or any meal really, is just a bad idea because you end up hangry. No one wants to be the hangry person at the table on holidays!
This Wild Blueberry French Toast Bake is a simple dish you can assemble the night before and then pop it into the oven for about 35 minutes before serving breakfast. Perfect for serving any company you may have over the holidays!
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of wild blueberries since I shared this smoothie recipe and this Wild Blueberry-Quinoa Power Salad. That’s why I didn’t skimp on the wild blueberries in this recipe. There’s a cup and a half of these blue beauties mixed in so every single bite is packed with blueberry goodness.
Wild blueberries are the blueberriest blueberry and you can tell as soon as you open a bag of them. Instantly, the heavenly smell of blueberries comes drifting out. You can find wild blueberries in the grocery store freezer section—just be sure the package says “wild”.
How are Wild Blueberries Different?
- Flavor—wild blueberries have a more intense flavor than regular blueberries (hence why they are the blueberriest blueberry!). Wild blueberry plants are genetically diverse with thousands of interlocking plants spreading naturally across fields. It’s this diversity that gives Wild Blueberries a complex and intense flavor.
- Antioxidants—these little blues have twice the antioxidant capacity of cultivated blueberries. Research shows the potential health benefits of wild blueberries including gut health, brain health, and diabetes management.
- Nutrition—one serving of wild blueberries (1 cup) has 8 times the manganese, 72% more fiber, and 32% less sugar than regular, cultivated blueberries.
- Heritage—wild blueberries are just that, they’re grown in the wild. Wild blueberries are not planted but rather occur naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada that have been there for over 10,000 years!
- Harvest—wild blueberries are quick frozen at harvest locking in their nutrition and taste.
Have you tried wild blueberries?#AD Enjoy the intense flavor of wild blueberries in this Wild Blueberry French Toast Bake #breakfast Click To Tweet
To make this french toast bake, you’ll want a good, hearty loaf of bread. I recommend visiting your grocery’s bakery section for a loaf of whole wheat bread. Fresh baked bread is a beautiful thing.
Cut the bread into one inch cubes and add to a baking dish. Then pour the liquid mixture with the wild blueberries over top and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Making something delicious like this for breakfast is a great motivator for getting out of bed in the morning. What do you think?
I used pumpkin puree in the recipe to reduce the number of eggs used but you really can’t taste the pumpkin. It’s also a great way to use up any extra pumpkin puree you may have leftover from other recipes! There’s not much sweetness to the french toast beyond the blueberries, so you’ll want to have maple syrup at the ready for people to add it to their liking.
#AD The whole family will enjoy this Wild Blueberry French Toast Bake during the holidays! Click To Tweet
If you want to learn more about Wild Blueberries, check out the Wild Blueberry Association website! Also, be sure to browse through all of the other wild blueberry recipes from fellow Recipe Redux members in the gallery below.